I needed to make two hanging cabinets for my laundry room. Badly. Not exactly blog-worthy. But I decided to try out an idea I had for drawer fronts, and that is blog-worthy (I set a low bar :)
First, the final product so you know where it was going...
The drawers are really trays 18" deep on 14" full-extension slides (which are cheaper than 18" 3/4 extension slides ;) This is very handy for getting at the stuff in the back.
If the fronts were just cut in to very shallow triangle profiles, it wouldn't be that interesting to discuss. The top edge of the fronts are shallow triangles you see in the last picture, but the bottom edge is 1/8" thick the whole way. While it's easy to cut, there are a couple caveats to mention.
After the first two coats, I hand-sand with P320 or P400 since a water-based product raises the grain. After the third coat, I hit it with a white ScotchBrite to make it glass-smooth. You could stop there, but I added a fourth coat and only lightly hit it with the ScotchBrite in places.
What remains is to add a 'vanity panel' underneath. These are above a washer/dryer pair and things on those machines tend to vibrate around and possibly fall off the back. The panels will be far in the back attached to the cabinets, but made to stop items from falling back there.
The divider between the cabinets was an offcut of maple I had that I decided to shape with a spokeshave and rasp (for the end). It matches the long pieces mounted to the wall with a rounded end. Thought it made them look a lil better.