Friday, September 14, 2012

Fixing Veneer Bubbles and Related Topics

Let me be the first to admit that doing 12 veneered panels of varying sizes for the Angle Madness project in my shop is kinda no fun.  Takes all the available space between bags, work tables, "veneer flattening areas", and places to aerate the finished panels until they finish curing.  Plus at night when I'd think, "oh, time to go make another panel", I had flashbacks of the movie "Groundhog Day" only without the fun of ice carving.

All the burl panels came out great; only one has a bubble on it so we'll go repair it and talk about a couple other related topics including an experiment I did with some of the remaining scrap veneer to see how fine a gap you can get away with during a glue-up.

I've scraped and sanded all but this last panel now so we can move on to looking at the drawer webbing and back column.

Hope the weather in your area is starting to feel more like shop weather!

As an aside, I've been playing with different aspects of the video process to see how to fix some things I don't like about the current process.  One night while in the shop taking some test video, I saw a baby Gecko on one of the panels of the garage door:

It was fun to watch her scurry around looking for the smallest bugs that were attracted by the lights in the shop.  I say 'her' cuz I'm not seeing anything to say 'him', but I don't know Gecko parts well!

The interesting thing is that a friend of mine posted a similar shot to Facebook taken from their house window at very nearly the same time.  Two people replied with photos taken that same night.  An interesting coincidence!

Felt like scooping her up and putting her in the backyard; the ants this year are amazing... she'll be the size of a cow in no time!


  • ChrisHasFlair said...


    Is there any reason to be concerned with how the hide glue will stick to the glue you originally used to adhere the veneer to the substrate?


  • Monte West said...

    Hi Paul:
    I liked the way you are fixing the bubbles. You made a comment about going to I think Paul Church's Workshop and buying knifes. Who is he, and where is he located?
    Thank You

  • HalfInchShy said...

    Hi, Chris,

    I should have mentioned that about the glue; you need something that will stick to the old glue! Turns out the liquid hide glue sticks well to most anything, but I did do a test earlier with a corner that chipped off; it wasn't needed, but thought to try it there.


    Paul Schürch is a marqueter I learned from over an excellent week-long seminar course out here. I wrote a blog article about the seminar; you'll find links there for his store where I got the scalpel. If you've watched the first veneering episode for the Angle Madness project, there's a lot of mention of his products and how/where they are used. A little more in the episode on the 4-way bookmatch.

  • Monte West said...

    Thank you for the information. I am sorry he is on the West Coast. I sure would enjoy being in one of his classes, but I am on the East Coast.
    Your project is looking good. When I get through my current list of projects I want to do some Vereer and String work on a project.