Wednesday, August 25, 2010
My part is the part immediately below the TV around the center speaker (the bottom cabinet was purchased previously).
Initially, they just wanted a shelf that would stand precisely around the speaker, but I pointed out it would look silly to me to have a shelf narrower than the TV. From there, we got the width the same, but then what to do with the open areas on the side. They wanted just something flat to plug the hole. I suggested making doors that matched the style of the other doors so everything looked like it was intended to go together; the doors could hide remotes, the iPod dock, and access to the side jacks of the speaker.
The awkward part was getting a color match. I used Poplar then dyed it stark yellow with TransTint Amber Additive. Then stained it with a pad using General Finishes' Brown Mahogany water-based stain. I thought it came out pretty good; it is a hair darker than the main cabinet, but I thought that was better since it is set back and surrounds something black. Topcoat was Arm-R-Seal Satin.