If you've read previous entries, you know that I've been working on some interesting drawer fronts for a closet built-in. Work and onset of summer lethargy kept me away from it, but tonight I sliced the drawer fronts from the large coved panel and attached the handles. Attaching the handles was an interesting project as I wanted no visible means of attachment. There are some interesting steps involved so I thought to share.
First step was to mark the locations of the cuts to separate out 5 drawer fronts. I did this by clamping the drawer-front panel to the front of the cabinet and marking directly off drawer locations. Since I'll need to line up the drawer fronts dead-straight or risk the cove staggering, I put a strip of blue-tape up the middle so visually I can line up the edges of the tape to the adjoining fronts when applying them in-situ. Yes, I could use the outside edge, but the cove is the key; the outside edges can be faired later if any deviations happen.
I inserted the drill bit into the hole from underneath and sighted the maximum depth I want the hole. Marked the bit with blue tape to indicate the depth. This step needs to be done for each hole. Normally I tried the same setting on the other hole for the same handle and it would be correct, but from handle to handle, it tended to be slightly different. Mind the projection of the brad and spurs.
West System epoxy to attach the handles. There'll be some in the recesses and the dowel will get covered before insertion to fill the hole. I'm using hardwood dowels for doweling jigs that have glue recesses on the sides; I think a tight-fitting smooth-sided dowel wouldn't work as well. I also added a little TransTint Medium Brown dye to the epoxy to better hide it. I also used the 404 filler for the epoxy since it needed to gap-fill; the dye masks the milky color of the epoxy with the filler. If I had to do it over, I would take plane shavings from the drawer fronts and grind them in a whirlybird coffee grinder and use that to fill the epoxy as it would be nearly identical in color. Eh, next drawers.
The glue-up was essentially applying epoxy to the ends of the handles, to the handle recesses, and slathering the dowel before inserting it. I did this over the gap between benches so the drip of epoxy landed in the garbage can.